Kermit and Janie Starnes Scholarship
Visit www.CentralStarnesScholarship.org to Apply
Scholarship Questions • Ken Haigler – 704.661.3316 / Application Questions • Ginger Hightower – 704.207.3349
About the Scholarship
The Kermit D. and Janie R. Starnes Scholarship is awarded to qualified applicants who are pursuing a college degree at an accredited institution of higher learning who have maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.; who show academic potential; and are a member of Central United Methodist Church in good standing, for a minimum of one year prior to making application.
The Starnes family’s intention was that this scholarship be given to youth and their families who are “members in good standing” of Central United Methodist Church. What does this mean? It means clearly that these families are fulfilling their membership vows to support Central through their “prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness”. Failure of the applicant or the family to strive to meet the “member in good standing” criteria could result in disqualification of the student for scholarship consideration
The Starnes Scholarship is a reward for those church members who meet ALL the defined qualifications and is not an automatic entitlement award based solely on church membership. Award decisions will be made by the scholarship committee based on qualifications of applicant including academic performance, practice and active compliance with church membership covenants in college life, and continued growth in your faith and spiritual experience.
During the years 2013 – 2017, the fund has awarded $587,600 in student scholarships to CUMC youth.
- Application received by the deadline. (April 15, 2018 – 5:00 pm)
- Complete official college transcript must be submitted at the end of each semester. (May 21, 2018 – 5:00 pm)
- Complete high school transcript must be submitted at the end of the semester. (June 8, 2018 – 5:00 pm)
- Scholarship recipient must maintain full-time student status. (12-hour min.)
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
*Note(s): Failure to comply with all guidelines above will disqualify applicant’s submission. All information requested by the scholarship committee on this application is confidential.
About the Scholarship Committee
- Committee Mission Statement – The Starnes Scholarship Committee is responsible for administering the selection of scholarship applicants that meet the criteria established by the committee.
- The scholarship committee will maintain consistent decisions to ensure the integrity of the endowment fund. They will continue to audit the use of the funds and monitor the stewardship expectations of the recipient. The committee will maintain fair, open and confidential communication with the scholarship applicants and recipients.
- The scholarship selection decisions and amounts awarded by the Committee will be final.
- Relatives of applicants will not be allowed to serve on the Starnes Scholarship Committee at any time during a related applicants application process or, within 5 years of the applicant’s eligibility.
- 2018/2019 Scholarship Committee Members
- Chairperson, Ken Haigler
- Vice Chairperson, Jody Jennings
- Technology, Ginger Hightower
- At Large, Susan Radford
- Finance Representative, Dean Davidson
- Trustee Representative, TBD
- Youth Minister, TBD
- Senior Minister, Danny Leonard
Scholarship Changes for the 2018/2019 School Year
- Adult Applications – The Committee made a decision in May 2017 that future scholarship applications would only be accepted from traditional students who are graduating from high school or continuing in college.
- Transcripts – Students will be required to submit an original official transcript to the Scholarship Committee at the end of each semester. Deadlines for 2018 will be January 15, 2018 for the fall semester and May 21, 2018 for the spring semester. These deadlines will be honored, and no exceptions will be allowed. Failure to submit the transcript by the deadline will result in one semester suspension of scholarship award eligibility.
- Eligibility – Students will be eligible for the Starnes scholarship for a maximum of 8 semesters.